Home Central AC Compressor Cost
$590 – $2,450, Installed
Home Central AC Compressor Replacement Cost Comparison Table?
$590 – $850
Average Cost Estimate
$750 – $1,580
$1,350 – $2,800
AC Unit Size
|1.5 – 3 Ton|
1.5 – 4 Ton
Covered by Warranty?
Yes / No
$0 – $250
$0 – $450
$350 – $750
$0 – $200
$150 – $200
$225 – $650
Installation Labor Cost
$300 – $400
$300 – $400
$300 – $400
Note: The comparisons on this page cover the repair and replacement of a home HVAC system central ac unit compressor, not a complete outdoor ac unit, or any other major components, other than reclaiming, and recharging the refrigerant.
Overview of Central AC Compressor and Replacement
One of the integral parts of your home central air conditioning system, is the ac compressor. The compressor is located within the outdoor condensing unit, and when it fails your house will not cool off. Replacing the compressor is a big project as far as hvac repairs are considered, and if your system is no longer under warranty or over 8 years old, you should also compare the cost a complete ac and coil replacement or just the evaporator coil as well, to see if it makes more sense to replace, versus repairing only your home ac compressor.
Note: central ac and heat pumps use the same type of compressor. This page applies to both central air and heat pump compressor replacement costs.
On this page of Costimates.com, we’ll help you learn about the installation and replacement cost of a home hvac ac compressor. We’ll spell out how your home or product warranty could affect how much you pay, as well as informing you on whether to pay for the compressor repair, or replace the complete ac system. At the end of the page you can compare compressor replacement costs from other leading websites, and review what other homeowners like yourself have paid for their own repairs.
Parts, Supplies and Installation Costs
Home AC Compressor Cost Variables
The cost of a replacement compressor for your home AC system is going to depend on a few factors. Most important, is whether or not the compressor is still covered under the manufacturer warranty, since the parts cost and labor are really are you’ll be paying for.
- Whether Covered by Warranty or Not (Compressor warranty will cover parts cost, but not usually labor)
- AC Compressor Size (Cooling BTU / Tons)
- Type of Compressor (Single stage or 2-stage compressors)
- Consumer Brand Ratings (Higher rated brands, usually equals a higher price parts)
Replacement AC Compressor Costs by Brand
The brand name on the side of your central air conditioner has an effect on the cost of replacing your compressor. While most manufacturers use similar parts, not all are the same. Higher quality brand simple cost a bit more.
The average installed cost below includes the compressor parts, replacement refrigerant (if not reclaimed) and all labor and disposal fees.
|Brand||Compressor Cost||Average Installed Cost|
|Carrier / Bryant / Heil||$640 – $1,200||$1,110 – $2,950|
|Trane / American Standard||$590 – $1,420||$1,000 – $3,150|
|Amana / Goodman||$490 – $1,390||$1,145 – $2,850|
|Lennox||$620 – $1,350||$1,230 – $2,850|
|Rheem / Ruud||$510 – $1,160||$1,020 – $2,650|
|York / Coleman||$575 – $1,090||$975 – $2,650|
|Whirlpool / Gibson||$640 – $1,375||$1,190 – $3,120|
Cost of Installation Supplies
Along with the home AC compressor itself, there may be additional supplies needed. In many cases, these additional supplies are not covered by warranty, even if the compressor itself, is covered.
- $35 – $100 | Copper fittings and connectors.
- $35 – $75 | Line filter or dryer.
- $35 – $150 | Contactor, Capacitor, and/or hard start kit.
- $15 – $25 | Misc silver solder, electrical connectors, etc.
- $75 – $125 | Reclaiming the refrigerant in unit.
- $150 – $300 | Refrigerant recharge (R22 or 410A)
Permits and Inspection
- $0 | Mechanical and Other Inspections
Since this is a part repair, versus complete system change-out, you are not likely to need a permit or inspection for replacing your home compressor.
AC Compressor Installation Labor Cost and Time
Even when a compressor is covered through your home AC manufacturer warranty, its rare for them to cover the labor cost of an HVAC technician labor and/or diagnostic fees, unless it occurs within the first year of ownership. (Learn more about home warranties, and what they cover) You can expect to pay an average of $830 in labor costs, or somewhere between $420 – $1,400 in labor cost to replace a home ac compressor.
- $830 | Average Labor Cost for an HVAC company to replace your air conditioner compressor.
- $59 – $129 | Service and diagnostic fee to determine compressor was bad. (May be credited back to you after repair)
- $60 – $90 per-hour | Service Technician Labor Fee
- $60 – $75 per-hour | Service Helper Labor Fee
Completed Installation Time
In most cases, an HVAC repair technician can determine that a compressor is faulty within the first hour of a service call. While some might carry an assortment of 3-5 replacement compressors on their parts truck, many will need to go to a parts supply house to get a specific replacement for your home ac unit. If the compressor is covered by warranty, the part must come from an approved manufacturer supply house.
- 2-4 hours | Diagnose, repair with part already on service truck.
- 4-6 hours | Diagnose and have replacement compressor delivered from the repair company parts runner.
- 6 hours or more | In cases where it takes the service technician longer than 6 hours of labor to complete your repair. It’s likely that they had to run to the parts house themselves, removed and replaced broken compressor, etc.
DIY or Hire a Pro
In 90% of cases, this is a repair job you’ll have to hire an HVAC professional to do for you. If the unit is under warranty, a licensed HVAC service company may be required to perform the repair for you in order to handle the warranty paperwork and return the parts. While a DIY’er might be able to handle some of this job, there is simply too many tools and procedures that a handy homeowner is not going to be be prepared for.
- Requires refrigerant certification. (And refrigerant)
- Requires trade-specific tools and skills. (vacuum pump, high temp torch, brazing, etc)
- Must be able to process warranty claims when applicable.
I consider myself an 8/10 on the handyman scale, and I would hire a pro to do this job every time.
Compare Costs from Around the Web
To help you compare central ac compressor replacement costs, we’ve compiled a short list of estimated fees from other leading home service websites.
|$460 – $1,850|
|Budget Home services||$1,300||$350 – $1,800|
|Altitude Comfort||$2,500||$2,200 – $2,800|
|Fast AC Service||$1,950||$1,500 – $2,400|
|Suggest a Cost Comparison from Another Website|