$750 – $1,200
Average Cost Estimate
$1,190 – $2,980
$2,630 – $4,240
|Description||Resin Tub/Shower kit||Fiberglass Tub/Shower Kit||Fiberglass Tub / Ceramic Tile Shower|
|Size||60″ Tub / Enclosure||60″ Tub / Walls||60″ Bathtub / Ceiling Height Tile|
|Wall Type||Precise Fit Panels||Panels or Seamless Enclosure||Ceramic Tile with Backerboard|
|Installed By||DIY||DIY or Pro||Pro Installed|
|Tub/Shower Faucet Kit||Basic Chrome or Plated||Nicer Brushed Finish||Brushed or Chromed Finish|
|Supplies Cost||$150 – $300||$150 – $400||$750 – $1,400|
|Shower Curtain or Doors||Curved Curtain Rod||Curved Rod or Low End Doors||Clear Glass Shower Doors|
|Other Bath Remodel Work at Same Time||None other than Required||New Toilet||Floor and Toilet|
|Repaint Bathroom||As Required||Complete Repaint||Complete Repaint|
|Permits / Inspections||$75 – $250||$75 – $250||$75 – $250|
Overview of Bathtub Replacement
If the bathtub in your home is out of style, stained, aging, or you just want to freshen up the look of the bathroom, it may be time to replace your old fiberglass tub and shower. Due to the extent of this kind of project it’s usually done as part of a complete bathroom remodel. However, in this Costimate we’re just going to cover bathtub replacement costs when done with a combination unit that includes the tub and shower, as well as the minimum amount of related work and expenses you’ll have to deal with at the same time.
This page of Costimates will help you understand more about how much it cost to replace a bathtub, the pricing variables for different shower types, as well as the controls and drain kit, plumbing, drywall repair and other related expenses you’ll have to deal with before completion. After reading this you’ll have a better understanding of how much work is involved in the best scenario, as well as hidden costs you need to budget for. We’ll help you evaluate whether it’s a DIY project or something you should turn over to a Pro. Further down you’ll find a comparison table listing the estimated cost for a tub replacement from other leading resources and a section for homeowners and Pros to share what they’ve paid for similar work.
Product and Supplies Cost Details
Shower and Bathtub Unit Cost Factors
You’ll find plenty of options when you start considering a budget for bathtub replacement cost. Since this page is focused on replacing a shower / tub combo, those are the choices we’ll discuss. The list below is in order from the least expensive with the least amount of work, to the higher cost and higher workload.
- Composite Tub and Shower Surround Kit – 60″ kits cost around $350 – $1,600.
These systems are similar to fiberglass, with names like Vikrell, Polystyrene, Acrylic, etc. Although you can use one-piece units, they are usually comprised of a tub and set of matching panels that make up the shower surround walls and create a watertight shower and tub system. In most cases, the tub and walls are a matched kit.
- One Piece Solid Fiberglass Enclosure – 60″ Fiberglass units cost around $650 – $2,800.
Fiberglass enclosures have been the most widely used replacement for many years due to the complete watertight finish they provide. The only reason these are not listed as the easiest replacement, is that they require a lot of space to get the unit in and out of a bathroom. If you have a standard hallway width of 36-42 inches, you won’t easily get it into the bathroom.
- Standalone Bathtub with Ceramic Tile Walls – 60″ tub with tile walls cost around $650 – $3,600
The biggest cost variable in ceramic shower tile involves the tile you choose to put onto the walls for a finish. Standard subway tiles are one of the most popular choices not only due to lower cost, but ease of installation. Larger size and more expensive types of tile will not only add to the retail tile cost but also the installation cost due to more cutting, etc.
- Bathtub and Shower Liners – $650 – $1500 for Standard 60″ bathtubs, and up to $3500 or more for more feature rich systems.
Bathtub liners have quickly gained popularity in the remodeling space due to the quick turnaround and lower requirements when compared to a full replacement. Companies like Bathfitters, Re-Bath, and others are readily available and can usually have your bathtub and shower liner installed in just a few days after initial measuring.
Cost of Installation Supplies and Other Bathroom Fixtures
Once you’ve decided to replace the shower in your bathroom, you’re going to need to plan on related expenses that may be incurred at the same time. In fact, it’s likely going to be cheaper to replace or update these items at the same time, since the work is already being done and the bathroom already being partially remodeled. The replacement cost at this time is going to be less if you decide to do later.
- $100 – $350 | New Tub Faucet, Showerhead and Handles.
- $25 – $350 | Disposal at Dump or Dumpster Fees.
- $25 – $150 | Miscellaneous Copper Pipe or Plumbing Supplies.
- $45 – $100 | Shower Drain, Piping and Connectors
- $20 – $75 | New Shower Curtain Rod and Curtain.
- $125 – $1,800 | Glass Shower Doors.
- $15 – $40 | Mortar Mix for Under Tub.
- $10 – $30 | Spray Foam Insulation for Under Tub.
- $100 – $450 | Replacement Toilet. (If tub is different color, you may want a new toilet as well)
- $75 – $650 | New Vanity and Bathroom Sink.
- $15 – $285/sqft | Ceramic Shower Wall Tiles
- $25 – 450 | Bathroom Exhaust Fan.
- $3 – $25 / Square Foot | New Bathroom Flooring. Since the floor is likely to be partially damaged during the tub removal, it makes sense to replace it during this time.
- $20 – $75 | Caulking, Misc Nails, Screws, Fasteners and other Supplies.
- $65 – $550 | Drywall Repair and Paint.
- $130 – $750 | Wall or Floor Water Damage repair
Permits, Inspection, and Installation Costs
Permits and Inspection
- $75 – $150 | Plumbing Inspection if Required by Local Code.
Installation Cost and Time
In most cases, the contractor installing your new shower or tub is going to include the labor as part of the total cost. Be prepared to add 10-20% to their price for unseen issues like floor rot, water damage to walls, etc.
In the case of water damage behind the existing bathtub enclosure, the costs can rise significantly if there is serious damage that requires wall studs or floor joists to be replaced. In addition, if mold is found after removal, be prepared for additional costs based on the amount and type of mold found.
Completed Installation Time
- 2 – 4 days | Simple Installation and Replacement, Few Other Updates.
- 3 – 5 days | Most Common Installation, with Few Other Updates.
- 5 – 14 days | Larger, Extensive, or more Difficult Installations with Damaged Wood or Mold
DIY or Hire a Pro
I’ve remodeled by own bathroom completely, and also replaced just a tub and shower enclosure. If you’re very handy, this could be a DIY project. In most cases however, its not. This is one of those jobs that regardless of how you choose to do it, it’s best to talk to a contractor and get an idea of the depth of the project. In the end, if you choose to do it yourself, realize that any mistakes you make are going to cost more to be repaired by a professional. Also realize that doing it wrong, a mistake in plumbing or drain lines, can result in significant damages to other areas of your home.
- Need a lot of tools.
- Ability to sweat or join copper piping.
- You’ll need a helper or two from start to finish.
- Specialized tools for plumbing.
- Carpentry, Drywall and Painting skills.
I consider myself a very able handyman, 8/10 on my skill level. While I have done many bathroom remodeling projects in the past, this is one that I would leave to the pros if money was not a factor. If you consider yourself a very good handyman, give it a shot!
Installed Costs from Around the Web
Take a look at what other leading cost comparison sites consider an average cost for tub and shower replacement.
|Costimates||$2,085||$850 – $5,500|
|HomeAdvisor||$2,973||$1,018 – $4,935|
|HowMuch.net||$1,006||$825 – $1,857|
|Improvenet||$2,826||$1,350 – $8,600|
|Fixr.com||$2,500||$1,100 – $13,500|
|Miracle Method||$575||$475 – $675|
|Suggest a Cost Comparison from Another Website|