Cost of Plantation Shutters and Installation
$215 – $350 / Pair Installed
How Much does it Cost to Have Plantation Shutters Installed?
$70 – $200
Average Cost Estimate
$215 – $350
$365 – $575+
|Retail Cost (Each)||$70 – $175||$180 – $325||$335 – $575|
|Size||Up to 8 sq ft||8 – 14 sq ft||More than 14 sq ft|
|Material||Faux or Wood||Faux or Wood||Wood|
|Brand Rating||2 – 3 Stars||3 – 4 Stars||3 – 5 Stars|
|Arched Top||No||Yes or No||Yes or No|
|DIY||Yes or No||No||No|
Overview of Plantation Shutter Installation
Plantation shutters are beautiful window dressing with practical benefits for any window. Most plantation shutters are wood, but cheaper composite materials are available that reduce cost. Installing plantation shutters in your home will not only increase the beauty of the area, but increase the value of your value of your home when you decide to sell it. For these reasons and many others, they are a very popular upgrade.
This plantation shutter cost guide includes prices, cost factors, estimates from other sites and pries submitted by readers. It will provide you with a clear idea of the plantation shutter prices you’ll see when you shop or get an in-home consultation.
Product Cost Details
Plantation Shutters Price Factors
- Window Size – Common casement and double-hung window sizes range from about 24×30 inches to 48×60 inches. Price goes up with size.
- Shutter Material and Finish – Composite or fake wood shutters and vinyl are cheapest. Painted wood shutters are midrange in price. The most expensive plantation shutters are stained wood.
- Wood Type – For wood shutters, pine is the most affordable. Domestic hardwoods are mid-priced. Exotic woods like teak and Brazilian cherry may cost more.
- Shutter Quality – Cheap wood shutters are made with thin wood and poorly constructed frames. They won’t look as good or last as long as shutters made with thicker wood and better components.
- DIY or Pro Installation – You’ll save $25 to $50 per shutter with DIY installation
Plantation Shutters Retail Cost
This section compares average plantation shutter prices by window size and the materials used. Prices do not include installation.
Installation accessories should be included in the shutter package. However, if you want to change the look of the shutters or large shutters need extra support, here are potential costs.
- $5-$20 per shutter | Decorative hardware
- $10-$15 per shutter | Support kits for large shutters
- $1.50 – $3.00 | Pack of installation screws, 2” to 3”
Permits, Inspection, and Unit Installation Costs
- $0 |Plantation shutter installation does not require a permit.
Installation Labor Cost
Depending on whether you hire a handyman service or window treatment specialist, the labor cost will range from $50 to $100 per hour.
That breaks down to approximately $25 to $50 per shutter.
Doing the math from the labor cost, a pro installs 2-4 shutters per hour, depending on the shutter size.
- 2-5 hours | Installation of 10-15 shutters with a crew of two installers
DIY or Hire a Pro
There are two keys to successful plantation shutter installation.
1). You have to get the measurements exactly right or the shutter won’t fit properly.
If the window is square, measuring is straightforward. However, if the window is arched, measuring can be quite difficult.
2). The next step, of course, is to properly install the windows. You’ll need basic skills with hand tools and possibly a drill to drill pilot holes in window frames.
In short, most homeowners with decent DIY skills install their plantation shutters instead of hiring a pro. For large shutters, a second pair of hands is useful.
We’ve installed more than a dozen plantation shutters with a minor hiccup or two, but no serious issues.
If you have the time, inclination and skills, go for it.