New Metal Roof Costs
How Much Does a New Metal Roof Cost?
$5 – $8 / sqft
Average Cost Estimate
$12 – $18 /sqft
$15 – $30 /sqft
|Type of Roofing Metal||Corrugated Panels||Shingles / Standing Seam||Stone Coated / Standing Seam|
|Metal Gauge or Thickness||29 Gauge||26 – 29 Gauge||24 – 27 Gauge|
|Surface Coatings||None / Painted||Painted / Coated||Painted / Coated|
|Life Expectancy||15-20 Years||25 – 40 Years||35 – 50 Years or Longer|
|Existing Shingles||Remain||Remain / Remove||Remain / Remove|
|Existing Underlayment||$20 – $150||$20 – $250||Included|
|Roof Features and Construction||Simple Roof||Average||Average / Difficult|
|Installed By||DIY / Pro||Pro||Pro|
|Permits and/or Inspection||$0 – $250||$0 – $250||$0 – $250|
Overview of Metal, Tin or Steel Roofing
Metal roofing is growing in popularity for many reasons and each year it is taking market share away from other roofing materials like asphalt. Its strength protects homes in extreme weather events and from wind-blown embers. Steel and aluminum roofs last 50-100 years, so metal roofing costs represent long-term value. A growing range of styles gives you attractive, energy-efficient options for your home. Most use some recycled content, and all metal roofing is recyclable. Those are just a few of its advantages.
This Costimates post is about metal roof cost for materials, supplies, installation, permits and more. Prices are given for the most popular types including standing seam metal roofing, steel shingles and stone coated steel. Cost factors are spelled out, so you can estimate where in the cost range your project will fall. We include metal roofing price estimates from around the web, plus actual installed costs submitted by homeowners.
Metal Roof Cost Details
Material Cost Factors
A few obvious variables will affect your metal roofing cost.
- The Type of Metal Roofing – Metal roofing cost for material range from less than $200 per square (100 square feet of material) to about $900 per square. Specific metal roofing prices are found below in the list of supplies and costs.
- The Metal Used – Steel roofing cost varies based on type (above), but cost less than copper or zinc roofing.
- The Grade of the Material – Roofing panels are available in thickness/gauge from about 29-gauge on the thin side to 24-gauge on the thick side. Thicker costs more.
- The Amount of Material Used – The bigger the roof, the higher the cost of materials.
- Metal Surface Coatings – A range of coatings are used such as Kynar 500, Hylar 5000, MS Colorfast45, acrylic and PVDF finishes. They vary in cost, sometimes by color, but all cost more than non-coated roofing.
- Condition of Existing Roof Shingles – The old roofing might have to be removed, depending on its type and number or layers and whether special underlayment is required.
- Condition of Existing Underlayment – When the old roofing is removed, and on new construction, an underlayment suitable to the climate and type of metal roofing will be installed on the roof deck. Any underlayment repairs will add to the cost.
- Roof Features – For a simple roof with 2 sides, a slight slope and no real technical expertise, the cost is lower. If you have multiple valley’s, peaks, a hip roof or some other non-standard roofing system, expect to pay a bit more.
Cost of Supplies
This list starts with roof sheathing (plywood or other underlay), which you won’t need if your roof structure is in good condition. Then, your material options are listed with their metal roof prices.
Reminder: A roofing square is enough material to cover 100 square feet of roof. Since most materials overlap, it takes more than 100 square feet of material to cover 100 square feet of roof. Be sure to pay attention to coverage specifications when browsing material options.
- $12-$15 per sheet | 4’x8’ sheets of 7/16” roof sheathing (32 square feet or about 40 cents per square foot)
- $20-$60 per square | Metal roof underlayment, when required, based on type
- $100-$165 per square | Corrugated or ribbed steel panels
- $330-$475 per square | Steel shingles or shakes
- $385-$595 per square | Metal tiles
- $435-$880 per square | Stone-coated steel roofing
- $450-$725 per square | Aluminum shingles or shakes
- $600-$900 per square | Standing seam/vertical panel roofing
- $625-$1,10 per square | Zinc roofing
- $1,300-$2,400 per square | copper roofing
- $6.50-$9.00 per square | Supplies including fasteners and adhesives
- $1.75-$3.35 per linear foot | Metal roof trim including gable/rake trim and ridge cap
Permits, Inspection, , Related Costs and Installation Time
Permits and Inspection Cost
- $125-$300 | Permits vary by location and the size of the roof to be inspected
Related Costs and Installation Time
Metal roof costs for materials have been listed above. Here’s what you can expect in an itemized estimate for installation.
- $150-$480 per square | Installation costs vary based on who does the work (handyman, general roofer or metal roof contractor), what type of material is used and how complex the work is.
Metal Roof Install Time Schedule
How long it takes to install your metal roof depends on how large your roof is and how large the installation crew is. For a crew of 3-4 people working on a typical home with 2,000 square feet of roofing material, the schedule will look something like this:
- 1 day: Remove old roofing and/or repair the roof deck, if needed
- 2-3 days: Install metal roof on typical single-story home
- 3-4 days: Install metal roof on typical 2-story/multi-story home
DIY or Hire a Pro?
While I’ve hung a few panels onto a storage building roof, they were not painted or put up for longevity, but simply due to the ease of installation over an already shingled roof. It was quite the easy job in fact, since the roof was just a simple slope and a friend and I finished the job in less than a day. If I had to install metal roofing onto my home, I’d leave that to the professionals every day!
- Requires a lot of friends or helpers.
- Ability to work from ladders or on a roof and not intimidated by heights.
- Need metal cutting tools and a sheet metal break for larger projects.
Metal Roof Costs from Around the Web
|Costimates||$8 / sqft||$5 – $30 / sqft|
|HomeWyse||$7 / sqft||$5.50 – $13 / sqft|
|HomeAdvisor||$5 / sqft||$2.80 – $14 / sqft|
|FixR||$4 / sqft||$3- $16 / sqft|
|Suggest a Cost Comparison from Another Website|