Garage Door Spring Replacement Cost
How Much Does it Cost to Have Garage Door Springs Replaced or Repaired?
$40 – $150
Average Cost Estimate
$130 – $280
$180 – $385
|Repair or Replace?||Repair Only||Repair / Replace||Replace|
|Amount of Disassembly||None / Minimal||Average||Extensive|
|Spring Length and Strength||Average||Longer / Average||Longer / High Torsion|
|Supplies Cost||$20 – $150||$20 – $250||Included|
|Installed By||DIY / Helper||Professional||Professional|
|Permits and/or Survey||$0||$0||$0|
Overview of Garage Door Springs
A garage door spring usually breaks with years of use and, in coastal climates, rust can be a factor too. A broken spring is more than just the inconvenience of having to raise the door manually, it poses the risk of injury if the door falls onto a person or pet. If a spring isn’t broken, but your garage door isn’t operating as it should a simple adjustment and lubricating the springs might be all that is needed for the garage door spring repair. Life expectancy of your spring or torsion system is generally around 10,000 cycles of opening and closing your door, but type of spring, maintenance and care also play into that.
This Costimates page includes garage door spring repair and replacement cost, so you can consider what you’re likely to pay to fix the door rather than replace your entire garage door. Repair cost factors and the cost of supplies are listed too. Costs shared by readers and costs from around the web will help determine where on the cost range your estimates will be. We recommend you also read the DIY or Hire a Professional section and consider the risks before undertaking this project.
Related Cost Estimates
Repair Cost Details
Door Spring Cost Factors
Your garage door spring repair cost varies depending on these factors:
- Repair or Replace – Adjusting and lubricating a garage door torsion spring costs less than replacement, but if the springs are 10+ years old, replacing the torsion springs might be money better spent. Also, some garage door contractors charge a minimum garage door maintenance fee that might make the garage door torsion spring replacement cost more attractive.
- Disassembly Required – Some assemblies require more disassembly to remove and replace the spring. This will factor into labor costs when hiring a contractor to do the work. Thankfully in most cases, removal of the garage door opener is not needed to replace or adjust the spring.
- Spring Specifications – Springs range in length from about 21” to 38”. Wire size ranges from 192 to 262. Unlike wire gauge, the bigger the number, the larger the wire. As a rule, the larger the wire, the stronger the spring and the longer it should last.
- Just Springs or the Entire Kit – While most replacement jobs require just a set of springs, entire kits with springs, torsion tube, coupler, drums, cable assembly, mounting brackets and fasteners are available. A kit is a good choice for an older garage door assembly when the door itself is still in good condition. Again, you’ll want to compare the cost of the kit or the kit plus installation with the cost of replacing the entire door assembly for upgraded looks and performance. Note: If your door has two springs, replacing both is recommended even if only one is broken. Springs with the same level of wear ensure safe, smooth garage door operation.
- Who Does the Work – You’ll save money, if the repair is properly made, but will incur risk with DIY installation.
Cost of Supplies
- $4-$10 | WD-40, Liquid Wrench or similar lubricant to spray on the garage door torsion spring or springs every 3 months to prevent rust and squeaks
- $25-$90 | Pair of garage door springs
- $40-$115 | Pair of springs with winding bars needed to properly adjust the tension on the springs
- $135-$185 | Complete hardware kit for refurbishing a garage door assembly
Permits, Inspection, Related Costs and Installation Time
Permits and Inspection Cost
- $0 | No permit is required for garage door spring repair or replacement
Related Costs and Installation Time
When you hire a garage door repair contractor or handyman near you, the cost to replace a garage door spring or springs will include labor charges. Total cost ranges are found in the graphic at the top.
- $50-$80 | Labor cost per hour. See the time schedule below to estimate your total labor costs
Garage Door Spring Install Time Schedule
- Up to 1 hour | Lubricate and adjust the balance of the springs
- 1-2 hours | Replace a set of garage door springs
- 3-5 hours | Replace springs and additional hardware
DIY or Hire a Pro?
I’ve looked very uneasily at garage door spring replacement in the past and always called a friend in the business, or after we moved away, a local pro to do the job. It doesn’t appear to be too hard of a job, but the warnings you find everywhere about injuries and garage door springs are enough to push me to using a professional repairman.
- Requires a friend or helper.
- Need to be comfortable on a ladder and working with your hands overhead for periods of time.
- Read up on the dangers of garage door springs, they can kill you! Manufacturers don’t put huge warnings on them for no reason.
Garage Door Spring Repair Costs from Around the Web
|Costimates||$235||$40 – $375|
|ImproveNet||$185||$100 – $350|
|HomeAdvisor||$180||$100 – $200|
|TheSpruce||$200||$35 – $350|
|Suggest a Cost Comparison from Another Website|