Garage Door Opener Installation Cost
$185 – $395 Installed
How Much Does it Cost to Install an Automatic Garage Door Opener?
$115 – $225
Average Cost Estimate
$185 – $400
$300 – $550
|Garage Door Opener Cost|
$100 – $200
$100 – $200
$170 – $300
$0 – $50
|$0 – $50||$0 – $50|
Chain, Screw or Belt Drive
Screw, Belt or Direct Drive
1/2 – 3/4 HP
1/2 – 1 HP
3/4 – 1.25 HP
Safety, Wireless, Keypad
Safety, Wireless, Keypad, Wifi
Existing AC Outlet in Ceiling
|Yes||Yes / No||Yes / No|
|Installed By||DIY Or Pro||DIY Or Pro||Pro|
|Permit & Inspection||$0 – $225||$0 – $225||$0 – $225|
Overview of Garage Door Openers
Having an automatic garage door is a convenience you never really appreciate, unless you’ve never had one. They are one of the most popular home improvements for home buyers with a garage, and also add a small step of security to the entry of your home. Quite often, they are gifted to the new homeowners as a housewarming gift from their Realtor or home builder. Nothing can be more welcoming on a rainy afternoon than pressing the button and having the garage door rise and welcome you into your home to stay dry.
Within this Costimate we’re going to talk about garage door opener installation cost as well as the retail price variables, and feature differences between various garage door openers you can find online and in retailers like Lowes, Home Depot and other big box stores. You’ll learn who to call to have the opener installed at your home, as well as factors within your garage that may affect the installation cost. We also include sections on DIY installation, price comparisons found on the web, and of course… a section where other homeowners have shared the installation cost of their own garage door opener at their home.
Related Cost Estimates
Door Opener and Supplies Cost Details
Features and Cost Factors
When you compare different models and units, you’ll find several features that will affect the retail price you pay for your opener.
- Drive Type – Garage door openers are available with chain drive systems, screw drive, and belt drive. Some direct drive models are coming to the market as well. If you’re looking for affordability, choose chain drive. If you want lower maintenance and quiet, choose the screw or belt drive door opener.
- Strength of Motor – You need to know the type or weight of garage door installed at your home to have a motor strong enough to lift it. Most openers are available in 1/2 hp, through 1.25 horsepower ratings. If you are unsure, get a 3/4 horsepower or higher motor.
- Security and Operational Features – Budget openers have very few bells and whistles. Stepping up a model or two should allow you to install an optional keypad outside your home to open or close your door with a pin number. You can also connect the garage door to your home security systems, and open or close via smartphone on more advanced units. Other units even have battery backups to allow the door to operate when you lose electricity.
Estimated retail costs of a garage door opener system are:
- $100 – $200 | Basic, 1/2 horsepower, chain drive opener with 2 remotes.
- $200 – $300 | Chain, screw or belt drive openers, 1/2 – 1.25hp, with smart technology, remotes and outside keypads.
- $300 – $400 | Higher power motors for larger, heavier doors. Belt, screw drive or direct drive lifting systems. Automatic closing timers, smart technology and backup power source.
Cost of Installation Supplies
If you hire a pro to install your garage door opener they will most often come prepared with all supplies needed to do the job. Many units you purchase today include all hardware to install the opener to an open stud ceiling. If you have a finished ceiling, you may need added support brackets.
- $0 – $10 | Support brackets to mount motor to ceiling.
- $25 – $50 | Electric wiring and outlet on ceiling to power opener.
- $10 – $25 | Miscellaneous screws, fasteners, wire staples,
Permits, Inspection, and Installation Costs
The garage opener itself does not need to be inspected after it’s installed. If however, you need to run an electrical outlet to the ceiling of the garage to provide power to the unit, the electrical work may need to be inspected, depending on local laws in your area.
Permits and Inspection
- $45 – $125 | Electrical inspection.
Garage Door Installation Labor Costs
Most companies charged a fixed rate for garage door opener installation. If not, expect the fees to be in the range listed below.
- $150 – $200 – Fixed rate for installation.
- $45 – $80 per-hour | Handyman or electrician hourly rate.
Completed Installation Time
When estimating the time to complete the installation, use the factors below. The values do not include the travel time to and from your home.
- 1.5 – 2 hours | Simple installation, electric outlet in place above garage door opener motor at ceiling.
- 2-4 hours | Most common installation time for garage door openers. Including the running an electric outlet to motor with wire exposed and stapled to surface of wall/ceiling.
- 4-6 hours | Difficult or advanced installations, where new electric service is run inside walls and concealed. Advanced hookup to Wifi or home security system, etc.
DIY or Hire a Pro
I’ve installed 3-4 garage door openers and when the need arises, would do so again. It’s a fairly simple DIY project as long as you follow the instructions and have electrical service or a plug nearby to power the unit. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most difficult, DIY garage door installation is about a 2-4. It’s a pretty easy project for most handy homeowners with a well-stocked toolbag, drill, and a ladder.
- Requires working on a step-ladder.
- May need to run electric service to the motor unit on garage ceiling.
- May need a second person helping to lift and steady the motor while being bolted to hanging brackets.
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most difficult, DIY garage door installation is about a 2. It’s a pretty easy project for most handy homeowners, and will take you 2-3 hours in most cases.
Installed Costs from Around the Web
There is plenty of information on the web about the cost of installing an automatic garage door opener. Compare these installation costs from leading home improvement sites.
|Costimates||$292||$185 – $400|
|Fixr.com||$310||$200 – $425|
|HomeWyse||$295||$223 – $370|
|HomeAdvisor||$320||$190 – $449|
|On Track Garage Doors||$192||$50 – $461|
|DIYorNot||$305||$210 – $421|
|Suggest a Cost Comparison from Another Website|