Table of Contents for this Page
Cost of Retractable Awning Installation
The estimated cost to have a local pro install a retractable awning over your deck or patio is around $820 for a non-motorized 12′ awning and $2,330 for a motorized 12′ awning, installed by a local pro near you. This cost does not include electrical costs that may need to be done in order to provide electricity for powered awnings. If you buy your own awning and do it yourself, you could save a bit on the installation cost but it’s not a simple job and you’ll need help to get it completed.
The average cost includes a mid-range retractable awning and all installation supplies. It also includes professional installation (Except DIY) and clean up after the install is completed. All cost factors are detailed below.
Average Costs for 8-12′ Awnings
Overview of Retractable Awnings
A retractable awning over your deck or patio creates a more comfortable setting in both sunny and inclement weather. Your options are manual and motorized retractable awnings, and they are available in a variety of sizes to fit your space, or custom made to your exact specifications, to fit an exact area.
This Costimate explains all cost factors, so you will have a clear idea of what your retractable awning cost will be. Prices are broken down into awnings and installation labor, and we make a recommendation about whether installing a retractable awning is DIY-friendly. Retractable patio/deck awning prices from other estimate sites are listed for comparison.
Retractable Awning Price Factors
- Size – Most common retractable awning size ranges from about 8-14 feet wide with a 7 foot projection out from the house. The largest are about 20 feet wide with a projection of 10 to 11 feet. Sample pricing is listed below for common awning sizes.
- Motorized vs Manual – Motorized patio awnings cost more but offer convenience at a higher cost. Manual awnings cost less and have fewer moving parts that might fail.
- Frame Type – Frames with a metal front panel have better structural support for heavy weather, but cost $300-$500 more. Most sellers offer both types.
- Fabrics – Woven cloth awnings cost more but last longer than laminated material.
- Extras – Motorized awnings have feature options like timers, remotes and wind sensors that close the awning to prevent damage in high winds. Accessory costs are listed below.
- Warranty and Serviceability – Like most products, awnings have different warranties for the fabric covering and mechanical parts. A lifetime warranty on everything will cost more than a 10-year warranty on the mechanical, and 5 years on the material of the awning itself.
Retail Price Range of Retractable Patio and Deck Awnings
These costs are the awning prices alone. Installation labor costs are below.
Prices by Type of Awning
- Manual retractable awnings: $200 – $3,850.
- Motorized retractable awnings: $2,550 – $5,100.
- RV-style manual awnings: $675 to $2,200, installed.
Awning Prices by Size
The list below are estimated costs for both manual and motorized awnings.
- 6′ Awnings: $210 – $690
- 8′ Wide Awnings: $300 – $1,190
- 10′ Awnings: $340 – $1,320
- 12′ Awnings: $490 – $1,660
- 14′ Awnings: $780 – $2,330
- 16′ Awnings: $1,150 – $2,980
- 18′ Awnings: $1,640 – $3,850
- 20′ Awnings: $1,960 – $4,400
- 22′ Awnings: $2,490 – $4,730
- 24′ Awnings: $3,200 – $5,690
Note: These are average retail costs for common awning sizes. You will no doubt find some that are less expensive, as well as many that are much more costly.
- $40 – $60 | Awning cleaning kit with cleaner and brush
- $80 – $100 | Wall-mounted wireless switch
- $75 – $125 | LED light set
- $115 – $300 | Side curtains
- $215 – $275 | Wireless wind sensor
- $100 – $135 | Vinyl awning cover
- $400 – $550 | Aluminum awning hood
Permits, Inspection, and Installation Costs
- $0 | Installation of a retractable awning does not require a permit.
- $75 – $250 | If you need to install an electric source for a motorized awning, inspection may be required.
Installation Labor Cost
Installation is usually a fixed price based on the size and type retractable awning.
- $250-$400 | 2-person crew for awnings up to about 14 feet wide
- $350 – $550 | 3-person crew for awnings wider than 14 feet
It’s takes 3-5 hours for a crew to install a retractable awning.
We’ve found the projects listed below to be commonly related to having an awning installed at your home.
Are You a Pro Awning Installer?
If so, head over to our Costimates Pro’s page, and help us make this page better and more accurate for both our visitors and your future customers.
DIY or Hire a Pro
When you buy a retractable awning online, the seller will supply you with complete installation instructions. Most suggest a crew of 2 or 3 people due to the awning’s size.
The steps are simple:
- Unpack and check the awning and materials to be sure all parts are included
- Mount the bracket to the wall or fascia
- Lift the awning onto the bracket
- Secure it in place with the included bolts
- Manually open the awning or plug it in and check operation
Sellers also offer pro installation through a network of independent installers. They’ll set up the appointment for you or ask you to fill out a form that will be sent to the installers, who will then contact you to schedule installation.
What’s our recommendation? This is a straightforward installation that most homeowners with even limited DIY experience can do successfully.