Estimated Cost Comparison Table
$290 – $670
Average Cost Estimate
$380 – $1,710
$730 – $3,900
|Type of Door||Steel / Aluminum||Steel / Aluminum||Steel / Wood|
|Door Size (Cars)||1 or 2 Cars||1 or 2 Cars||1 or 2 Cars|
|Windows||None||None / Yes||Yes|
|Insulated Door||Not Insulated||Insulated||Insulated|
|Special Features||None||No / Possibly||Yes|
|Garage Door Opener||Not Included||Basic Door Opener||High-End Opener|
|Supplies Cost||$0 – $50||Included||Included|
|Installed By||DIY / Helper||Professional||Professional|
|Permits and/or Survey||$0 – $150||$0 – $250||$0 – $250|
Sections: Overview | Product Costs | Installation Cost | DIY or Pro | Web Compare | Shared Pricing
Overview of Garage Doors
Replacing the garage door is a common home update when the door is showing its age or won’t operate smoothly even after adjustments. On the positive side, a 2017 national home remodeling survey by Remodeling Magazine revealed excellent return on investment. Replacing a standard garage door brought a 77% return on the garage door cost when selling the home; an upscale door produced a surprising 85% cost-to-value return along with improved curb appeal. If your garage door is old, broken, or just needs to be replaced for visual appeal, you can be assured the investment will pay off in the long run.
This Costimate covers garage door prices for standard and upscale doors plus the estimated installation cost, so you’ll have an accurate estimate of your total cost for DIY and professional installation. In addition to cost variables, we provide an overview of related costs that may be incurred at the same time, as well as a section where pros and other homeowners have shared the price they paid for garage door replacement. If you’ve recently replaced your door, please consider sharing the cost by completing the project form at the bottom of the page.
Related Cost Estimates
Project Cost Details
Garage Door Cost Factors
Steel panel garage door prices start at less than $400 for a one-car garage door you install and range to more than $8,000 for wood, 2-car garage doors with pro installation. Where on that spectrum your new garage door cost falls will be based on these factors.
- Size of the door: Common single-car garage door sizes start at 7′ wide and 7′ high, and range to 10×9 with the most common sizes being 9×7 and 9×8. Two-car garages can be as wide as 24 feet, but are most commonly 16×7, 16×8 or 16×9. Taller doors to accommodate an RV are available to 14 feet tall.
- Material: Steel and aluminum panel garage doors are the most common and affordable; Genuine wood garage doors prices are up to ten times more for any size.
- Windows: 1-car garage doors with windows cost as much as 67% more. 2-car garage doors with windows cost 30% to 50% more.
- Insulation: Insulated garage door cost is 15% to 30% higher, though the return on investment is negligible unless the rest of the garage is insulated too.
- Specialty colors: Non-white colors add 5% to 20%, and darker colors cost more than light.
- Style elements in custom doors: Doors with more architectural style and upgraded hardware cost up to 25% than the same door without them.
- Garage door moulding/jamb: Fresh moulding to match your garage door or provide a better fit is a minor additional expense.
- Installation of a new opener: You’ll want an automatic door opener if building a new garage, the old one is worn out, it won’t handle the weight of the new door or if you’re changing door styles, for example from a classic overhead garage door to a carriage-style door that swings outward. The heavier the overhead door, the more horsepower the opener needs and the more it will cost. An opener and remote adds 25% to 75% to the cost, based on what type of door and opener are required. See specific costs below.
- Installation: Your options are DIY, a handyman service ($-$$) or similar and a garage door company ($$-$$$).
If you’re unsure about your needs, Angies List has a great write-up to help you decide which of the features you might want, based on your needs and home.
Cost of Supplies
Let’s itemize the garage door costs we’ve mentioned before looking at garage door installation prices.
- $450-1,500 | Average steel garage door cost, though some garage door prices are as high as $2,500
- $1,850-$4,500 | Average wood garage door cost, though fully custom wood garage door prices can be $10,000 or more
- $150-$475 | Garage door opener costs from .5 to 1.25 horsepower
- $28-$50 | Garage door moulding
Permits, Inspection, , Related Costs and Installation Time
Permits and Inspection Cost
- $50-$125 | Many counties require a permit for installing a garage door
- $75-$150 | Electrical permit, when wiring is being installed too
- If you’re part of a homeowner’s association (HOA) with strict rules, check its bylaws to make sure the door you select complies with the rules on exterior home materials.
Related Costs and Installation Time
- $225-$575 | Garage door installation based on door size, number of panels and whether an existing door and opener are removed
You’ve got two basic options for professional garage door installation:
- Buy the door and other materials, and hire a handyman service to install them
- Hire a garage door company to supply all the materials and install them
The garage door installation cost typically includes assembling the door onsite, installing the track and opener, hanging the door, attaching it to the garage door opener and making balance adjustments for smooth operation. Garage door installation is usually a two-person job. The cost will be on the upper end of the spectrum when an old door and opener must be removed.
As for wiring, even in new construction, the garage is typically wired with an outlet in the ceiling for a garage door opener. If not, expect to pay an electrician $150-$250 for the job.
Garage Door Install Time Schedule
With an experienced two-person crew, this is a job that goes quickly.
- 2-4 hours | Installation of an opener and door
- 3-5 hours | Removal of an existing door and opener plus installing the new opener and door
DIY or Hire a Pro?
I’ve never installed my own garage door. I’ve done repairs like fixing a broken track, single panel or wheel, and also installed my own door openers in the past as well, but never tackled replacing the door itself. Regardless, having seen a garage door spring come loose on a friend one time, I think I’d leave this one to a pro to do.
- Requires a friend or helper.
- Need to be comfortable on a ladder and working with your hands overhead for periods of time.
- Read up on the dangers of garage door springs, they can kill you! Manufacturers don’t put huge warnings on them for no reason.
Garage Door Replacement and Installation Costs from Around the Web
|Costimates||$820||$320 – $2,500|
|Fixr||$650||$400 – $3,500|
|HomeAdvisor||$1,070||$300 – $2,000|
|HomeWyse||$780||$295 – $1,800|
|RemPros||$835||$310 – $3,350|
|Suggest a Cost Comparison from Another Website|
Costs Submitted by Homeowners and Pro’s